Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday - Kid's Coat Solution


We have a secret coat closet at our house. We hide it right by the front door. Apparently it is only visible to the adult eye because it goes largely ignored by the kids in our house.

In the winter, my constant refrain has been, "Hang up your coats. In the closet. No, coats do not go on the floor!"

In all fairness, when dealing with preschoolers it is a little much to expect them to be able to reach the hangers and hang their coats up. But, after picking coats up off the floor morning, noon, and night I knew something had to give.

Which is when we got smart. And picked up a couple of initialed towel hooks. We hung them beside the coat closet low enough for even our littlest kiddo to reach and ta-da! A solution was born.

Now, my girls not only hang up their coats every time they walk in the door, they can also reach them easily and put them on without me having to get them out before we leave. They love being self-reliant and I love not having a coat pile in the entry way every day. It's a win-win, I say!

So, that's what is working for me this week. Head over to Rocks in My Dryer and see what's working for others across the blogosphere.

9 comments:

Jenny86753oh9 said...

That is such a great idea. I need to replace mine as the hooks aren't deep enough. On the To-Do list!

BlueCastle said...

This is a really good idea. I've got coats all over the floor, so I could definitely use help with this. :)

Miss Mommy said...

Great Idea!! The hooks are so adorable!!

Anonymous said...

I just changed out my hooks at the level of my toddler to hang up her stuff. those hooks are so cute, they look very anthroplogie-ish!

Laura said...

That is such an awesome idea! I'll have to remember this for when my kiddos are older :) Thanks for sharing!

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

What a great job! They look wonderful! Thanks for sharing your idea!
-Kim

ccsmomma said...

Initials...cute idea! I've been wanting to hang hooks by our door for a few winters now. Procrastinate much??? never.

Raise Them Up said...

Love the hooks! Maybe that's what I need...decorative hooks. That way when my kids continue to use the floor and couch, at least the empty hooks will look nice!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea!!! Those hooks are so cute!!