Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - Book Bargains

I LOVE books. In fact, I love them so much that I don't actually have nearly enough storage for all my books. I've collected hundreds of books over the years (I was an English major afterall!) and just can't quite stop myself.

Since my husband and I love books, it's pretty much a given that our girls will love them, too. I mean, I've been reading to them since they were in the womb and then pretty much shoved a book in their hands before they cut the umbilical cord.

But, books can get expensive. And, though I don't mind spending the money on them, I also don't mind finding ways to feed my book fetish without breaking the bank.

That's where Library book sales come in. They are my new favorite place to pick up books. Our Library has a book sale once a month on Saturdays and it has become the best way to get great classic kids books as well as books I might never have picked up in any other context.

The prices are crazy good and the selection varies from week to week. But, if you're willing to go and dig through the boxes of books you're sure to find some treasures.

Just to give you an idea of the absolute steals you can find at these sales, here's a list of books I got for $8 last weekend:

Elephants Zoobooks (educational book)
A book of Manet's work
A book of Monet's work
A book of Renoir's work
A book of Degas' work
Bedtime for Frances (storybook)
The Kissing Hand (storybook)
Time for a Rhyme (educational book)
The Hungry King (storybook)
Mi Primer Libro Memory (spanish memory game/flashcards)
Watch them Grow Up (vintage book about baby animals)
The Prehistoric Age
Glow-in-the Dark Book of Human Skeletons
The Ultimate Show-Me-How Activity Book

$8 people! Can you believe that? And the last book I listed was a HUGE 250 page book of kid's activities. This was the best start for our summer!

That's what is working for me this week. To see what is working for other moms, head over to Shannon's Dryer and see what is working for others.

7 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

that is a good tip -- our library has a permanent shelf of books for sale which i am always browsing...so cheap -- like 25 cents a book. love it.

Anonymous said...

i too have more books than i have room to keep them in. in fact, i think there is a bookshelf in every room in the house - literally. i love library sales and i never pass by the "last chance" section at B&N. I also participate in a Pay It Forward exchange which is nice because you get to read the book, then pass it on so no cluttering of the shelves. the only downside is once i buy a book, i hate, hate, hate, giving it up - gotta work on that obsession!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see this post. Great tip!
I'm the person who donates my books to the local library. I donate recent best sellers(received a book that I had already read for Christmas)and many up to date books. Makes me feel good that others can get a great bargains. I win because I get a tax receipt. Thanks for sharing.

Wani said...

We love to read together with the kids. I'd much rather have tons of books than tons of toys! Thanks for sharing!
C'mon by Wani's World and check out my WFMW!

Anonymous said...

what a fantastic deal! i love love love library sales!

GeonHui's Bakery said...

Our library has a 'Book Nook' a little store right in the library where they sell books. It's fabulous! Although we have to limit our trips there :)

Dawn said...

What a great tip. I know our library has book sales, but it's not very often, maybe once or twice a year. I am definitely going to check it out and go buy some books. I love to read.