Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday - Art Direction

There is one thing that is sure to keep my kids entertained. Art, art, and more art.

On days when things are crazy and I am at my limit, I get out the art supplies and let the girls have at it. We're pretty relaxed about art around our house, so our method may not be for everyone but here's how we play it.


We get together paint, paint brushes, stamps, sponges, toothbrushes, pipe cleaners, and any other cool textured things that will make fun prints on paper. The girls love painting with toothbrushes (particularly the electric kind) and I usually just let them get messy and creative. If you're not as crazy as we tend to be (and actually like having a clean house) I've found putting a cheap plastic tablecloth under their art table helps eliminate any unsightly messes.


It also helps to have a variety of art supplies to let kids make their art into mixed media art projects. Fabric, Styrofoam peanuts, sparkle glitter, paper cuttings, and even recycled bottle caps make great additions to your arts & crafts table.

The result is some really fun and innovative art work and hours of entertainment! These butterflies were made from toilet paper rolls, paper scraps, fabric, egg cartons, pipe cleaners, and bottle tops. The girls came up with them on their own and it was exciting to see them take unusual materials and figure out how to mold them into their artistic vision.


That's what is working for me this week. To see how other moms are entertaining their kids this summer, head over to Shannon's Dryer for the "Mom, I'm Bored" edition of WFMW!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I love what they came up with! Very creative :)