Thursday, October 18, 2007

I heart Thomas (& The Jane Austen Book Club)


It has been so long since I’ve been to a movie I wanted to see. Painfully long. Tragically long. So, tonight when my husband asked what movie in the theaters I’d go see if I could I didn’t even care when I thought he was going to illegally pirate one of the movies online. But, imagine my surprise when he told me that my sister (Thank you Eryn!!) was coming over to watch the girls so we could go on a date. I was so excited. And to make things even better, he was going to leave it to me which movie we went to see.

So, seeing as how I constantly get dragged (albeit not always against my will) to sci-fi or similarly ungirly movies, I decided to see The Jane Austen Book Club.

Can I tell you how much I LOVED this movie? It was a movie about a bunch of women (and one highly evolved man) who sit around reading one of the greatest authors of all time and finding how her characters are amazingly relevant to their own lives. It was very much a chick flick, but still Thomas (and I hope he doesn’t mind me revealing this) loved it as well.

It of course made me miss my days in school as an English major and I found myself longing for a women’s book club. I am on a new mission to start a women’s book club so expect to be getting an email from me soon. I need some good old-fashioned girl time with a literary focus. Let me know if you’re interested...

**On a completely unrelated note, can I tell you what I learned after the movie? You know those strange people in the theater who sit there for so long after the movie is over seemingly enthralled with the end credits? The ones who make no move to get up and seem reluctant to recognize that the movie has actually ended? It is entirely possible that they do that because they have very young children at home and almost never get to go to the movies and the thought of leaving and not being able to come back for so long makes then unable to leave their chairs. They want to hold onto the moment for as long as possible. They’re not weird, they’re just desperate to hold on to such a rare and precious theatrical experience. So, please quit judging them. And don’t look at them questioningly wondering why they aren’t getting out of their chairs. Not every one can go to the theater as often as you, okay? Geez.**

No comments: