Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Making it right...

Because I have worked in retail and wholesale for years and years, I know how important good customer service is. For that reason, I also demand good customer service from places I am a customer of. And, as I am sure any of you who know me are aware, I am really good at complaining to customer service if I’ve been treated badly or had a negative experience. Why? Because I know our company never knew the bad things that were going on (or sometimes even good things) unless people called or wrote to tell us. For complaining about poor customer service here’s a sampling of compensation I’ve received from various companies: free cable installation from Comcast, $60 in free dinner coupons from P.F. Chang’s, free Chick-Fil-A coupons for lunch, free lunch coupons from McDonald’s, free Starbucks, $100 refund on services from Dollar Rental Car, free car service for the life of my Honda from Milton Martin Honda (who I did NOT even buy my car from!).

So, what is the point, you might ask? Well, the point is, I don’t actually have any special talent. I am convinced that anyone who complains effectively can get reparations from a decent company. Don’t get me wrong. There are plenty of companies I have complained to who have never given me a call back (shame on you, Five Guys and Holiday Inn). But, most companies handle these types of complaints well. They have a tendency to go out of their way to make their customers feel valued.

Here are the key elements (in my opinion) to lodging a good customer service complaint:

1. Pick up the phone or computer. The first step is actually doing it. I have complained loudly to friends and family without actually writing a letter but the second I actually got my complaint into the hands of someone who could do something about it I feel much better. Even if you never get a response, I think it is healthy and helpful to inform a company of your dissatisfaction.

2. Be respectful. Chances are it’s not the fault of the person you are talking to that you had a bad experience and chances are it’s also not the only complaint they are going to hear that day. The thing I hated most when I handled customer service for our company was how cruel some customers were and how often they tried to hit below the belt. Limit your complaint to the facts and remember that the person on the other line is as human as you.

3. Give details. Include the date & time of your experience. Names of employees present. Location information for major chains (i.e. street address, store number, etc.). The more details you give the more credible you look so make the complaint while the event is fresh in your mind.

4. Leverage your importance to them and explain possible consequences. I’m not talking about, “You messed up my pizza so bad I ought to sue you.” What I mean is, “My husband and I spend approximately $2000 a year on rental car expenses and we believe we will move all future business to Alamo Rent-A-Car.” You may think your business doesn’t matter to a big company, but most companies can see the big picture and know the importance of keeping every customer happy.

5. Keep your expectations realistic. You aren’t going to profit hugely from sending a complaint, but sometimes all that is needed is some recognition of your dissatisfaction and a little encouragement to use the company again. Just keep your demands (if you decide to make any) realistic because they could just as easily refuse to acknowledge your frustration.

6. ALWAYS be a vocal customer. This means, when you are happy with an experience somewhere give them a call and let them know. Sometimes they will send you free stuff for doing this, but more importantly you help to recognize the hard-working people who probably rarely get to hear a genuine praise for their performance. Not to mention, people are generally shocked to hear someone call and say something positive and it’s always fun to surprise people!

7. When all else fails go outside the company. If you feel like your complaints are falling on deaf ears and you believe its an important issue to pursue, check out the Better Business Bureau and complaints.com to seek resolution to your situation.

I am a firm believer that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and I’ve had lots of experiences to back that up. So, if you’re unhappy (and especially if you are happy) go out there and let someone else know about your experience...

No comments: