Monday, October 1, 2007

Ivy's First Day


At the tender age of 6 weeks, I shoved Ivy into the waiting arms of our Day Care center and felt miserably guilty. Fast forward 16 months and I’m guilt ridden again. This time because Ivy isn’t getting the emotional and social stimulation from other kids that helped Kai in her development at this age.

I guess moms never get over feeling guilty one way or another. But I felt guilty nonetheless so I finally made the decision to let Ives start back part time. She started back Monday and I was so nervous. She is, afterall, my baby and depends on me and clings to me more than Kai did. I knew she was going to have a tough day and cry for me all day and miss me. I feared she would be so emotional that they would have to call me to pick her up. Somewhere inside I really just knew she was too fragile to handle this and we’d end up not being able to keep her in school.

Boy was I wrong. She played with the kids the minute I dropped her off and never cried for a second when I walked out the door. In fact, she pretty much didn’t cry all day. It doesn’t hurt that her teachers are the absolute BEST and take care of her like she was family. But, when I showed up to pick her up and she looked at me and proceeded to walk away and play on the playground it still hurt. Alot. In fact, all the way home I kept looking at her in the rear view mirror because suddenly she seemed so grown up and different. But she was SO happy! I feel like we definitely made the right decision and I’m glad that Ives is going to get the chance to experience the fun of friends and school! Even if it means she not such a baby anymore...

No comments: