Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Shame, shame, shame...

Do you have someone in your life who embarrasses you every time you go out together? You know what I’m talking about, right? One of those people who always says the wrong thing, makes some snarky comment to strangers, or flat out loses their cool in public when they take issue with the way things are handled by another person or company. I have such a person in my life. Unfortunately, she goes with me everywhere I go. Because, even more unfortunately, that person is me.

It seems I cannot go out without embarrassing myself. Even as I type this, I am feeling the sting of shame on my face. And, all I have to say is three words for you to know what a disaster I experienced today. Social Security Administration. This place would bring the worst out of a normal person, so can you imagine what it did to me? Not good.

See, I had to go down there because a certain husband (who shall remain nameless) threw away the Social Security Card of a certain infant child (who shall also remain nameless). Unfortunately, since we need the social security number to file our taxes on Oct. 15th (I know...we’re procrastinators) I had to go into the office and get a new card. Which was horrible. Everything you have heard about the Social Security Office is true. It is not a good place.

The lines are long. The people are rude. And the entire place is steeped in frustration. And that is exactly why I had butterflies in my stomach the entire way there. Because I know my track record in situations like this is bad, bad, bad.

I came prepared. I had the application, my i.d., and Ivy’s Insurance Card, Proof of Insurance Letter, Medical Bill, and Explanation of Medical Benefits (all of which I was TOLD by the woman on the phone was plenty to prove her identity). Can you guess what happened? The Queen of the Social Security Administration looked up her number, finished filling out the application, and then he told me (rather condescendingly) that I didn’t have anything with her D.O.B. on it so he couldn’t help me. I got upset. Really upset. So, I pitched a little fit. And he was unrelenting and mocking me. I expressed my extreme frustration rather vocally, snapped up the application, and stormed out. Luckily, I kept my head enough to grab the application which he had written her Social on so I didn’t have to worry about getting the card anymore. But, how stupid is that? He can give me her social security number, but not let me apply for a card? Do you know how much damage I can do with just the number? Alot.Well, maybe not me, since I don’t really know how to do criminal things, but the wrong person could. And God forbid he send me (her MOTHER) the card in the mail to the address actually registered to her name.

Oh well. Its a government agency so I knew it wasn’t going to do anything that made sense. Still, the worst part was my embarrassing behavior. I’m sure he’s still laughing at the indignant huff I marched out in. Is it any wonder my children throw fits like they do?

No comments: