Friday, January 23, 2009

Does this look like a boy to you?


I hate car shopping. Mostly because, and please forgive me for this, I don't like dealing with used car salesmen. They aren't all bad, I know. But there's always one who seems to go out of his way to fit into the stereotype.

Take for example the guy who tried to sell us a minivan a couple of weeks ago. He was so busy trying to sell us the car he didn't bother to notice that I have two girls instead of a boy and a girl.

It grew increasingly uncomfortable as he kept referring to Kai as "little buddy" and "big brother" while I tried over and over again to stress my feminine pronouns and refer to them loudly as my girls.

Finally, when he left us alone for a minute Kai asked me why he kept calling her "buddy."

I explained that he wasn't paying attention and that he couldn't tell the difference between a little boy and a little girl.

She looked at me incredulously and said, "You mean he didn't notice that I don't have a PICKLE?!?!?"

So, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when he finally got back in the car and she said loudly, "Hey, mister. You know, I'm a girl, right? And I don't have a pickle. Ooookaaaaayyyy?"

Guess he had that one coming.

2 comments:

Me said...

Good for her. Kai's never going to be walked all over in life. :)

dewde said...

nice.