Thursday, June 18, 2009

Enough.

I lost my keys. Six weeks ago.

And yesterday was abysmal. If you follow me on Twitter you already knew this. Actually, I've been whining all week. But yesterday? That was the icing on the cake.

First, there is this vacant rental house. And cleaning up the disgusting mess left by our tenants. And the stress of paying for it without getting rent. Then work has slowed down again unexpectedly for Thomas which is really bad when you're an hourly contract employee. Not good timing. Either one of those things I could handle on its own. But together? It is bad. I've been trying to be positive. I've been praying a lot.

Then yesterday morning on my way home from dropping Thomas off at the train station, I said to God, "Could you please help us out? Could something good happen today? Even something small? Please?"

And when I got home and took Traveler out of his car seat I was in a better mood. And I thought things were looking up. Until I discovered that he'd had a baby poop blow-out in the car seat cover I had just taken out of the dryer. But that wasn't the best part. There nestled snug in his car seat of poo was my Blackberry. Trust me when I say, you don't even want to know what that was like.

That's when I told God that if that was His idea of helping that I'd be fine without His help today.

Follow that up with an entire day of everything that can go wrong will and, well, you'll understand why I tweeted "If God is the Heavenly Father, then I'm the bratty whiney teenage daughter today." Boo-hoo. Poor me.

But I yelled at God a lot yesterday. We're cool like that, though, so you don't have to worry. He knows me. He gets me. And, thankfully, He puts up with me in this stuff. So I asked Him why He couldn't give me one stinking good thing that day. Anything. I wouldn't be picky.

And He didn't remind me that my children and husband are safe and healthy. And He didn't point out to me that I had a roof over my head. And He didn't rub my nose in the fact that I have a pantry full of food to put in my children's bellies.

Instead, last night after something I needed became annoyingly lodged in a crevice in the van and I had to get Thomas to remove the whole center console to get it out God showed me where my keys were. The keys that had been lost for 6 weeks. The keys that I thought I'd lost for good.

And for that moment, that one small thing was enough to let me know He was there. And that was enough for the day.


3 comments:

Debra Kirkpatrick said...

Seriously? T pooped on your BlackBerry?

Am I a bad i-friend that that made me laugh? I'm sorry.

I'll be praying for a better, less poopy day for you. It's only fair. My news yesterday was *only* the result of prayers sent up on my behalf. :)

Debra/dslak

Rae said...

Haven't been on here in a while. But let me say, this particular post is so so SO well-timed. I am so thankful to know that I am not the only person that has been having "one of those days" for as long as I can remember. I wanted to punch Chad for interrupting my rant about how much our life sucks by reminding me that we have a home, a healthy happy little girl, and aren't behind on our bills (much).

Sometimes you just need to find your keys to really know that God is listening and cares about you...

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Love this. Beautifully written ,and such an important reminder. Virtual high five :-)