Friday, September 12, 2008

Kai-versations: Great. What's next? A Pre-K Existential Dilemma?

Kai: "Mom, are we real?"

Me: "What do you mean, Kai?"

Kai: "I mean, are we real or are we just living in a book or a fairy tale or something?"

Me, thinking that's an incredibly philosophical question for a 4-year-old: "No, we're real Kai. See (showing her my hand) our bodies are really here. We aren't in a story."

Kai, thinking: "Are you sure? 'Cause we might be people in a fairy tale."

Me: "No, sweetie. We're real. Our lives aren't the same as stories. We are really here."

Kai, unconvinced: "Yeah, well how do you know for sure? The people in books probably think they're real, too."

I'm starting to doubt my intellectual qualifications for raising this girl, but I'm pretty proud of that brain of hers...

7 comments:

Peanut said...

Wow! She sounds very bright to come up with questions like that! At nearly 3, my daughter is already coming up with questions I don't know how to answer... I'm getting nervous. This mom thing keeps getting harder (and funnier!)

DreadedRafifi said...

Considering I'm still wondering the same thing, she may never get a satisfactory answer to that question.

Kim N said...

Ha! That is so cute. I remember having similar questions about television. I thought maybe our lives were television shows when I was a kid.

Kai and my Lincoln and would have some very interesting conversations if they got together.

Heather said...

OH my goodness. She is really, REALLY advanced. I will have to be using her as an example in my class again. I shared her butterfly question the other day.

Anonymous said...

Oh she sounds so much like Dennis! Thats even making me think!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed.

K and/or K said...

I think that kiddo is ready to watch The Matrix. It would probably make more sense to her than it did to me!