Monday, November 12, 2007

hmmm...good or evil? i can't decide.

I saw this shopping cart in Publix today that offered a Bob the Builder Tv show inside the cart. It had a tv screen inside the cage-like place for kids to sit and for $1 they kids can watch TV while you shop. My initial reaction was: AWESOME! Then, I started to weigh the long-term consequences of this invention.

Trust me, I want to grocery shop in peace as much as any parent and I am not always super picky about how I get that peace. But, the idea that TV is moving into yet another arena of everyday life is a bit disturbing. I hate to anesthetize my kids with TV every second of the day. These inventions, it seems. prey on the desperation of parents whose busy lives require them to bring their children along with them. Don’t get me wrong. I am not so pious as to say I would never be tempted to use this new grocery cart. I just don’t know if it is a good idea...

Here’s the info I found on them when I searched the web:

Publix Super Markets in Atlanta, Georgia will be testing a new high-tech shopping cart. The new TV Cart is basically for the kids, but really for everyone else visiting the store.
The idea it to keep the little ones quiet by putting them in front of yet another TV, in the actual mini shopping cart. Kids, and adults, will be delighted to see shows such as Barney, The Wiggles & Bob the Builder. The carts will be available for $1 and can be used for the length of your visit.

No comments: