Monday, February 9, 2009

Cheaters Tortilla Soup

One of my preggo cravings this time around has been Mexican food. Actually, more specifically, the HUGE bowl of chicken soup from the Mexican restaurant that you can get for $3 and feed your whole family with. Yeah, I can eat that all on my own in one sitting. Don't judge me.

Unfortunately, my husband loathes this particular type of food so getting to the restaurant to get some has not been without drama. But, in my first trimester there were several nights the only thing I could stomach was the "chicken soup" from our local El Azteca.

I just wish I'd had this recipe then, because this is the easiest and most delicious cheater's Mexican Chicken Soup I've ever had. Definitely not any kind of authentic recipe, but I'm not pretending it is. It just hits the spot when you're craving some good easy chicken soup with more of a Mexican flare.

So, I thought I'd post the recipe for you in case you find yourself pregnant and about to inflict bodily harm on someone because they are refusing to take you to get Mexican food no matter how badly you want it and you need some other way to fill the craving. Not that it has ever happened to me. **ahem**

Mexican Chicken Soup (adapted from Real Simple recipe)

1 12-ounce jar salsa verde
1 lb. cooked chicken
4 cups chicken broth
1 and 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
2 green onions, chopped
2 cans Ro-tel diced tomatoes (undrained)
fresh cilantro, chopped
2 limes, quartered
No Yolk noodles
2 avocados, diced
salt (to taste)

Empty the salsa, broth, water, and tomatoes into a large saucepan. Cook 2 minutes over medium-high heat, then add the onions, cilantro, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Add cooked chicken and limes. Add noodles and allow to simmer until noodles are soft. Top with avocados and serve with your favorite side dish!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carey said...

I feel for ya - when I was pregnant, I could not get enough Mexican food - the spicier the better. We joked that it may have had something to do with Tequila contributing to the conception... Um. Anyway, this recipe looks yummy - I'll try it!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

Oh man, I feel you. All I wanted was Mexican food last time. This time I had mad Chinese cravings early on. I'm just so worldly when pregnant, huh?