Tuesday, February 24, 2009

P.S. It's Read Me Day 2

Despite the drama, I'm continuing on with Read Me week and my promise to blog my family's favorite kids books.

Book #2 is:



(image from JacketFlap)

Most people know how I feel about the Rainbow Fish book. I'm not a big fan of encouraging kids to give up what makes them unique and special so they can have more friends. Call me crazy, but I think we need to do more celebrating of the things that make us different. Not more compromising of those unique traits.

So since I have such strong opinions on the topic of celebrating our differences, the story of Humu is right up my alley. We originally bought this book on one of our trips home to Hawaii to see Thomas' family. I've never seen it in a bookstore on the mainland though the link in the title takes you to the Amazon page and I'm sure most bookstores can order it for you.

It is a great kids book about Hawaii's state fish the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (yeah, that's really the name and I swear I double checked the spelling!). In the book the little fish, Humu, realizes he is more colorful than all of his other friends. He is upset that he doesn't look like everyone else and makes a wish to be the color of sand so he isn't different any more.

But, he does so without telling anyone and when his friends find out they are sad because they know his colors are part of what make him such a special fish. They tell him that it was those crazy colors that made him special because they made him unique. Realizing he made a mistake, he wishes for his colors back and with the help of his friends he gets back the beautiful colors that made him so different. In the process Humu realizes that it is those things that are uniquely individual about someone that make them who they are and they should never be wished away.

The illustrations are beautiful and the story is such a great celebration of individuality that it has instantly become a family favorite. I highly recommend picking it up and reading it with your kids!

Your turn, what books celebrating individuality and uniqueness does your family love?



1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh... I am so sorry, Jen! I hope you're feeling better today. Hang in there!

And P.S. I gotta admit that I'm kinda curious as to what a kidney stone looks like! But maybe it's better that I don't see ...