Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Retro Housewife Challenge: Day One

Let me be perfectly honest about this experience. I. hated. every. minute.

Okay, so there you have it. I am a horrible domestic goddess. Horrible.

Here's what I did my first Retro Housewife Day:

1. Woke up at 6 AM to cook my husband breakfast. And resented the fact that I could hear him snore while I was scrambling his eggs (with cheese, of course, per his request).

2. Started the monumental task of cleaning, organizing, and rearranging my bedroom.

3. Laundry, laundry, and more laundry.

4. Deep cleaned the kitchen and scrubbed the kitchen floor Cinderella-style.

5. Did 3 loads of dishes. Three! People, what is that about? I mean, there are only 4 of us living here.

6. Had a nutritious meal completed in time to get Thomas at the bus station.

7. Took a nap. Darn it! I know. But, 6 am came SO early. What was I supposed to do?

It's going to get better, right? In 30 days I'm going to love this. Surely.

Tomorrow I will be working more on cultivating the selfless attitude and drinking martinis while vacuuming in my high heels. Hmmm...considering my tendency to break ankles maybe I'll just stick to the domestic tasks and leave the martinis for later.

5 comments:

Gettysburg Mom said...

no. no. no. If you go around doing all the work "we're supposed to do"- all you're doing is upping the ante for the rest of us. My husband might talk to other husbands and discover some households don't have laundry mountains instead of piles... that some wives make dinner sometime before 8:00 PM. Do me a favor and kick back with a cocktail and lighten the load for the rest of us, would ya?

Me said...

I'd skip the heels and keep the martinis, but maybe that's just me...

Rae said...

Chad always ribs me about this, but come on! Doesn't it make you feel good inside to have accomplished so much at the end of the day? Yes, you get tired, and yes those ladies had it right to be guzzling martinis, but it's fun! Right? Right?

Heather said...

Ok. Because I feel your pain, I am going to share a little tidbit with ya..

Back in the day, early in our relationship, I HATED cleaning. I would get overwhelmed and never really accomplish anything. I swore to my husband that if we had our own house, I would do better. Once we bought said house, I did better for a while then slacked because I had a 3 and 2 year old. And worked full-time. And started blogging. ;) After the studio closed, I was a SAHM and the domestic goddess kicked in. I started small (as you did) and just kept going. Now I am ADDICTED to neatness and clean. (So is my husband--be warned) Although, I do work and go to school now, it's not such a big task anymore. Plus the boys are 9 and 8.

SO, the moral of my story is...just tackle one thing at a time. But keep up with the tidying of the previous day's chores (dishes, picking up laundry, whatever) In time (proabably not that long), it will be second nature and you'll forget your other ways.

My tips?
Make your bed early. Get dressed. Empty the dishwasher first thing in the morning (because you will have done the supper dishes the night before) The rest will just fall into place.

marigold said...

Maybe just one thing at a time is how it works. I like to see what I can get done between the wash and dry cycle. I hear ya on the dishes though. There are only 2 of us and they sure pile up. But I'm the cook, so it's totally my doing!