Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Total Truth Tuesday

Here's my Total Truth for this week:

Believe it or not, I used to be smart. Really smart. I used to write 150 page papers on the Depiction of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the works of John Milton and William Blake. I took my entire Freshman year of college while attending my senior year of High School and never got anything below an A-. In fact, in my entire college career I only got one B. That was in Bowling. Which is embarrassing for so many reasons.

But, lest you think me braggadocios (can you tell I pulled that one out of my pre-baby brain archives?), let me make my point clear. I was book smart and a good studier and I had it all together. Once upon a time. But that was a veeeerrrrryyy long time ago.

I am thoroughly convinced I passed a significant portion of my brain to my oldest child. I think she absorbed what ever "smarts" I had. Because now, I'm not entirely convinced I even have a brain some days.

Now, I'm lucky to remember my kids' names on a regular basis. I have been known to completely forget about laundry sitting in the washer for so long that it has spoiled and I have had to wash it twice. Maybe even three times. I can't spell embarassing embarrassing on the first try no matter how many times I use it. I am incapable of winning a game of checkers (let alone Chess). And, in fact, while writing this post I managed to lock myself out of the house in the backyard while wearing my swimsuit. At least the wireless carried out here.

I used to be smart and now I'm just...not. I'm kind of like a ditzy version of Lucille Ball. Which is a really scary statement to make. But, want another truth? I'm thinking I might actually like it that way. 'Cause now I have a well-developed sense of humor about myself. Something that I think is even more valuable to me at this point than a well-developed brain...

1 comment:

Kim N said...

Oh how I can relate. English used to be my strength in college and high school and I can never remember where to put a comma and I misspell the easy words now.

My kids have been heard saying, "Mom! How can you mix up the names of your own KIDS!?"