Monday, January 7, 2008

Cool Fake-it Recipe

I think Shepherd's Pie is a great comfort food. It's always been one of my favorite "English" dishes and I've found an awesome Fake-it recipe in Real Simple. I made it tonight for Thomas and the girls and I thought I'd share it in case you're interested in trying it at home. Its as easy as it is delicious...

Sorry there's no picture. It was actually a really pretty dish, but everyone gobbled it up before I got the chance to grab my camera...

1lb. ground beef (I use Boca vegetarian meat crumbles)
frozen or canned peas, carrots, and/or corn
frozen or refrigerated mashed potatoes (This late time I used the boxed flake kind, but the frozen kind are much easier.)
1/3 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Brown beef in skillet. Add veggies, ketchup & Worcestershire sauce. Prepare mashed potatoes as directed on package. Add meat & veggie mixture to casserole dish. Add potatoes on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese if desired. Bake for 15 minutes at 250.

No comments: