Sunday, February 24, 2008

Middlesex and other books...


Okay, so I am going to officially save my review of Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides until First Thursdays meets and we can talk about it, but for now I have to say Oh. My. Gosh. I LOVED this book! From the blurb you know it's about a Greek-American hermaphrodite who comes of age and learns to deal with the medical diagnosis and its affect on his/her life. But, it is about so much more. It is complex and tragic and beautiful and gut-wrenching. It is absolutely a must-read (despite being an Oprah book club selection).


I am trying desperately to make some progress on Thomas' pick, Out of the Silent Planet, by C.S. Lewis because he has absolutely loved the Space Trilogy. Try as I might it's just not happening for me, but I refuse to give up. So, I continue to work through it.


However, I must admit, I'm starting a bit of a literary affair with The Age of Shiva, by Manil Suri. I want to be faithful to Out of the Silent Planet, but this other book is just calling my name. Maybe once I get it finished and out of my head I can go back to the Space Trilogy...

1 comment:

DreadedRafifi said...

Oh come on, the book is great and it's less than 200 pages. Just read it already so I have someone to talk to about it.