Friday, March 7, 2008

Come on, really?

I've been trying to find some creative ways to celebrate Women's History month with a 2 and 4-year-old. It's been hard, though not impossible. However, I was bound to find some infuriating suggestions. None more so than this article. How do I hate these suggestions? Let me count the ways...

1. Barbies should never be an example of anything to young girls. Don't get me wrong. My girls have Barbies, but I've never said, "Hey Kai. Want to know what women are capable of? Check out this roller skating My Scene Barbie. Someday maybe you can skate for world peace in a short skirt and an over made-up face."

2. These are not women in history. These are mostly women's fashion history. "Nifty Fifties"? Really? That's all that we have to offer little girls?

3. Marilyn Monroe and Cher? These are role models for Women's History? I mean, I know we're not going to get a Helen Keller doll, but what about a Queen Elizabeth doll or some other strong female?

4. FYI: The Princess of the Nile, Princess of China, and India Barbies are all basically the original Barbie mold with a darker tinted skin and "ethnic" clothes. Nothing about them that even looks remotely similar to the physical characteristics of the cultures they are representing.

Okay, there's my rant. I love Barbie as much as the next girl, but suggesting them for a women's history lesson is pretty much the worst idea I can think of. Unless, I guess, I want the girls to think their greatest contribution to the world could possibly be through sparkle shoes and a midriff baring "police woman" uniform.

No comments: