Monday, December 10, 2007

Brenau, how sadly we see thee...

I have always had a strong affection for my Alma Mater. I felt that even though it was not considered a prestigious or glamorous school, I could still say I graduated from there with my head held high. But, sadly, no more can I do such things.

The other day while driving in the car I heard a radio ad for a local school. In it, a very southern man described how much he loved his school. They helped him when he was deployed to get his degree. They worked with him and his work schedule to get his assignments done. All very honorable, I agree, but when I heard the name of his school I nearly had a fit. Brenau University. SHUT UP! This middle-aged southern soldier is the new face of my alma mater? The women's college I graduated from? For real?

My problem wasn't really with the nice man who spoke in the ad, but rather with the fact that my university was abandoning the very qualities that made me value it. This place where I learned about feminism and the evil of gender role stereotypes has now decided to use this man as our representative? Not to mention the fact that the ad itself was very DeVry/ITT Tech of them. I mean, I have nothing against those types of schools. Its just that I chose a small liberal arts school where I could have personal interaction with professors in the English department.

But, now, when I tell people where I went to school I can imagine them glazing over in disrespect for my education. And since they already do that when I tell them I'm a stay-at-home mom I just can't take it on another level.

As such, I have been prompted to remake our alma mater's song. For those of you who have never heard it, it probably will have no impact. But, for all of my fellow alums, you can see my glaringly obvious disrespect for the new direction of our school.

Brenau, how sadly we see thee
with honor richly drowned
in this academic wasteland
thy name's been run into the ground.
Oh hated the day that I heard it
on my car stereo
Brenau sold its soul for the money
and my degree is a joke.

No comments: