Sunday, December 16, 2007

Buttermilk Goodness


I hadn't made (or even had) a Buttermilk Pie until Thanksgiving, but they are quickly becoming my favorite. It's kind of like the poor man's creme brulee.

I had a mad baking urge at about 11pm and decided to make three to take to the girls' school tomorrow. Okay, two to take to school. One to keep for home. They've just come out of the oven and I can't wait to sneak a little taste while they're still warm.

I got the recipe out of one of my favorite cookbooks ever, A Taste of Georgia. Give it a try sometime and let me know what you think!

Oven: 350 for 45-50 minutes.
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 rounded Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash Nutmeg
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell

Cream together sugar and butter. Add flour and eggs; beat well. Add buttermilk and flavorings. Pour into an unbaked 9-inch pie shell. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.

No comments: