Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Total Truth Tuesday

Okay, it's late, I know. But it is technically before Midnight so it is still Tuesday. Hey, I could have posted it tomorrow and backdated it and no one would have been the wiser...

This Tuesday's total truth: If I could get away with it like Madonna, I would totally start speaking with a British accent.

I LOVE British accents and ever since I studied for a summer in Cambridge I have been obsessed with the place. If I could pick anywhere else to live, London would be my number 1 choice. But aside from the culture, literature, and history, I also really, really love to hear them speak. I mean say the word "vomit." Now, say it in your fake British accent. "Voh-mit" Even that word sounds better. I promise it works for any word. Botulism. Cockroach. Diaper. They all sound better. Actually, now that I think about it, more than hearing British accents I love using them.

And, oh. my. gosh. let's not even start talking about their wonderful slang. Nappy, snog, ciggy. Uh, and let's not forget fanny. You know what "fanny" means? It's absolutely hilarious. No, it's bloody hilarious. I can't ever look at a fanny pack again with out giggling.

I can't even tell you the number of times I've been out in public and tempted to use a fake accent. I have to avoid it because I know once I start I will never be able to stop. The next thing you know, you sound like Madonna and all your friends are talking behind your back and staging some kind of sad intervention...

1 comment:

Rae said...

I just came across this. You know, several times my friends & I have popped into a grocery store that we rarely, if ever, go to and start totally faking a brit accent. It's more fun that Barbie getting drunk and falling out of her dreamhouse. Just do it one day! People will start talking to you and looking at you like you just lifted your car over your head or something.