Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Gettin' Crafty



Maybe it’s the time of year but we’ve been getting super crafty around the Loving house. In alot of my online sewing/crafting/mommy communities people are making holiday pledges NOT to buy anything that is mass produced. They are vowing to either hand make or buy handmade gifts for everyone on their lists. I want to make the commitment to only give homemade gifts this year, but I just can’t quite do it. But, I am planning on making a lot of presents for friends and family. Just so you know, if you do get a handmade gift from me it is not because I was being cheap it’s because I genuinely wanted to make you something cool. (Now, on the flip side if you don’t get something handmade chances are I wasn’t skilled enough to pull off the cool thing I had in mind for you).

Anyways, that said, I’ve tried my hand at doll making lately. Kai’s friend Sydney had a birthday coming up and we knew we wanted to make her something fun. So, we practiced on the kitty cat doll above and learned a little about doll making. I still have alot to learn though for the record he was intentionally a bit wonky looking because we thought it gave him some character.

So, having completed one we set out to build Sydney’s bunny. I had initially told Kai she could choose to make any stuffed animal for Sydney. She requested a Rhinoceros. I told her she could pick any animal that is a bunny, kitty, puppy, or bear. She picked bunny. She also picked out all of the fabrics, colors, & eyes. Here are some pics of Sydney’s doll.




Notice, we put Sydney’s name on the heart? She turned out really soft and floppy. She’s a bit wonky in places, too, but I still think that gives her some character. Anyways, I’m happy with how she turned out. And Kai kept asking if she could keep her and give another one to Sydney...

No comments: