Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Not Your Grandma's Recipe Box


My youngest sister is getting married in less than a month and for my contribution to her array of showers I chose to throw her a recipe shower. Everyone brought their favorite easy-to-make recipe all made up in a pretty dish she could keep and included a recipe card. It was a fun shower because we all got to taste everyone's signature dishes and get some good recipes for ourselves.

But, as part of her present, I want to get her a cool recipe box, a task which is easier said than done. The majority of the recipe boxes I found had apples and ducks and really country scenes on them. My sister is just a bit edgier than that and I knew if I got her one of those she'd never use it in her house.

So, I picked up a recipe box in the $1 section at Michael's and created the recipe box above. A little black paint, some cool artwork from istock and ta-da! a cool little recipe box for that special punk rock chick in my life. The top says "Recipes to Die For" in a cool anarchy type font. I finished it off with a coat of Modge Podge to make sure the paint didn't chip or scratch. It also gave it a bit of a sheen which I think made it look a bit more finished.

She loved it and now I am dying to do the same to my duck and apple covered recipe box!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it too. now i wont be ashamed pulling that bad boy out to make my favorite waffle recipe! haha

Anonymous said...

Thats a great party idea! Love the box

Michie said...

I love the box too. Too cool!