Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sidewalk Canvas

In my continued effort to replace the plastic toys in our life I bought some wicked cool sidewalk paint the other day. It was Crayola and not super cheap. Three smallish bottles for $10 and the girls LOVED and it looks like we'll be done with it in a matter of 3 days.

Since I don't feel like spending $40 a week on sidewalk paint and I hate to take it away from them (seeing as how they LOVE it so and it keeps them super busy and creative which means I love it so) I decided to find a less expensive more homemade alternative.

I mean, people had to have done something like this before Crayola came along right? Turns out, I was right. There's an easy and cheap way to make it yourself. I thought I'd post the recipe in case anyone else is interested. I think it's more fun than buying it at Toys 'R Us and you can make as many colors as you want (the one I bought only came in 3 colors).

SUPPLIES:

¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
6 to 8 drops of food coloring

DIRECTIONS:

1. Put cornstarch in a small plastic bowl and gradually stir in the cold water.
2. Add your desired food coloring and stir.
3. If the paint still feels too dry, just add a little more water until you get the consistency you prefer.
4. Repeat the process to create different colors.

This sidewalk paint washes off very easily and will not harm plumbing or plants since cornstarch is all natural and biodegradable. You can keep it in air tight containers for as long as you need and if you find that the sidewalk paint has gotten a little dry, just add water to get the desired consistency.

No comments: